Tortilla Beef Casserole

So, I bought this cookbook, One Dish, at Costco a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! It was only $10 – quite a steal for how many recipes it has – and everything has been very easy to make and pretty healthy too. Because the recipes are simple they can easily be adjusted to be gluten-free, dairy-free or even meat-free depending on what you need.

We tried this one tonight and I think it is delicious, it was easy to make, and it is healthy too – everything you want in a recipe! (and those of you coming for the joint baby birthday lunch we may have this instead of enchiladas now)
Tortilla Beef Casserole
1 package (about 17 oz.) refrigerated fully cooked beef pot roast
**(or 1 can roast beef – see note below!)
1 jar (16 oz.) salsa
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 ½ cups canned or frozen corn kernels
1 cup canned black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained (I used black)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Drain and discard gravy from pot roast; cut or shred beef into bite-size pieces.
3. Combine beef, salsa, tortillas, corn and beans in large bowl; mix well. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
(I took the picture myself :-)- doesn't look tasty?!)
**I LOVE, repeat LOVE, these canned meats from Costco! I have never been a fan of dealing with raw meat (although I do it when needed). I have long used canned chicken for certain recipes – my tortilla soup recipe for instance is even more delicious with it I think – but was only recently introduced to the canned beef by my grandparents. When we stayed with them while waiting to get into our house last fall my grandma made sandwiches by mixing the canned beef (which is very low in fat I might add) with Miracle Whip and thinly sliced onion. We loved it and have been buying it for ourselves ever since. We use it to make deluxe nachos or tacos by mixing the meat with taco seasoning and I have put it in soups and casseroles too (it is sooo much better than ground beef!).

So there are my plugs for the night! Everybody should run to Costco tomorrow and go shopping :-)!

0 comments: