On the Border Tortilla Soup

I got this recipe from a bag of On the Border tortilla chips and just now got around to trying it out. The recipe seemed so simple I was worried it wouldn't be flavorful enough, but it proved that even simple recipes can be tasty! I did add a few slices of zucchini and carrots (I KNOW the restaurant soup has zucchini and yellow squash in it) to make it more authentic, but it would be good without them too.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 c. On the Border salsa (I just used some generic stuff I had in my fridge, but I do love their salsa and you can buy a HUGE jar at Sam's club for cheap)
- 2 large ripe avocados, mashed with 3 T. salsa
- 3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used a can of chicken)
- 4 T. uncooked rice
- 1/2 c. onion
- 1/2 c. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterey jack cheese

Directions:
- Heat chicken broth to boil in a large saucepan. Add chicken breast halves, reduce heat and cook until chicken is opaque.
- Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Add salsa and rice to broth. Cook about 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Return chicken to sauce pan, add onion. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add remaining onion and cilantro. To serve, break a small handful of On the Border chips (also delicious and really cheap at Sam's Club) into bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over tortilla chips. Top with cheese and 1 rounded scoop of avocado.
(since I used canned chicken I just threw everything in the broth at the beginning, including the veggies I added, and let it all cook together)

2 comments:

Kelley said...

There's an On the Border in Houston. Grandma and I saw it when we went to Calico Corners.
We need to go!

Joy Tilton said...

Just had this for lunch, I always order it when we go to On The Border! Glad I googled it, I found your great recipe blog!