Why I LOVE Rice Cakes

Some of you may know that I have Celiac Disease and although I sometimes sneak an occasional flour-filled treat when I can't resist, at home I try to be as gluten-free as possible. I use rice cakes, the plain old salt-free or lightly salted variety, pretty much everyday.
Here are some of their many uses:
*Rice Cakes with peanut butter (optional jelly or honey on top)
*Rice Cake Sandwiches...ham, turkey, tuna (the trick is to melt cheese on the rice cake to hold it all together, otherwise they tend to crumble apart. My favorite is to layer miracle whip, mustard, cheese, meat and tomato and place under the broiler in the oven)
*Rice Cake Pizzas...top as you desire (I personally prefer Ragu traditional spaghetti sauce, no chunks, and cheese, mozzarella or cheddar. You can melt the cheese under the oven broiler or heat them in the microwave. If you use less sauce you can actually pick them up to eat them like little pizzas and if you use more you'll need a fork - I like them both depending on my mood)

Some people think I'm crazy, but ricecakes are WAY cheaper than GF bread and I've grown up using them. Ella and Addie love the ricecake pizzas and when I would come home from college I remember my little brother and sister begging me to make them each one when I was preparing them for myself!

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

My baby was tested last year for Celiac Disease. She doesn't have it, but the whole time we were going through teh process I kept thinking about you! I remember making you sandwiches on rice cakes!
The pizzas look really good!

Unknown said...

In your honor I bought some rice cakes today. To be honest they are the caramel covered kind, but I was thinking of you when I got them!! :)

Kelley said...

Looking at those pictures brought back so many memories of your creative rice cake masterpieces. You were a cook at heart from the time you were little!

Anonymous said...

We probably have the same reasons. My kids love rice cakes especially with peanut butter.
dining tables