Latin Crock Pot Chicken

latin crock pot chicken
I really try to have at least one crock pot meal a week for our busiest day. It's nice to have dinner ready to go whenever you need it! I found this recipe on Fabulously Delicious and it sounded yummy, was healthy, and I could throw it all in the crock pot...awesome!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. chicken thighs salt and ground black pepper to taste (I used 1 large chicken breast)
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, divided
1 large sweet potato, cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
(I added in 1/2 red onion, cut into thin slices)
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup hot salsa (I'll use medium next time, it was a little too hot for the kiddos)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground allspice (I used Goya multipurpose seasoning)
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
lime wedges, for garnish
rice and tortillas

Directions:

1.Heat the olive oil in a large skillet; season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro over the chicken thighs; brown the chicken in the frying pan, 3 to 5 minutes each side.
2. Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, and black beans on top of the chicken. Mix together the chicken broth, 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, salsa, cumin, allspice, and garlic together in a bowl; pour into the slow cooker. Set slow cooker to LOW and cook for 4 hours. Garnish with lime wedges to serve.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Yum! Sounds fabulous. :)

Natalie said...

I haven't made anything in my crockpot in way too long. This sounds great!