Marci's Chicken Tortilla Soup

Well, I know I am always looking for new recipes to try so I decided to start posting some of mine. If you have ever eaten at my house you have probably had this tortilla soup, or chicken enchiladas - well, probably both :-). I guess everyone has their trademark dish though and this soup has become mine. My mom passed the recipe on from my grandma when I first started college and I instantly loved it (I have always been a tortilla soup fan!). It is delicious of course, but also really healthy which is a great bonus.

MARCI'S CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
1 T. olive oil
1 (12.5 oz.) can chicken (do NOT drain)
1/2 c. finely diced onion
2 garlic cloves
1 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. ground pepper
(I use "heaping" teaspoons when measuring the spices)
1 (14 ½ oz.) can chicken broth
1 (15 ¼ oz.) can corn kernels (do NOT drain)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans (rinse and drain)
1 (14 ½ oz.) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (cut up)
Toppings:
tortilla strips (see below)
fresh cilantro
diced avocado
sour cream
cheese

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
-Heat oil in pan over medium heat and sautee onion and garlic.
-Add can of chicken and spices (cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper).
-Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
-Stir in broth, undrained corn, black beans and tomatoes.
(I like a little extra broth in my finished soup so I add some extra water, maybe 1/4-1/3 cup)
-Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 min.

While the soup simmers you can prepare the tortilla strips (or if you are pressed for time, just crush tortilla chips):
Using kitchen scissors (there is probably an actual name for them) cut tortillas into thin strips (I cut 3 at a time). Spread evenly in a lightly greased 9x13 dish.
Bake them in oven approx 4 minutes then stir them around and bake 3 more.
I often put them under the broiler for a couple minutes at the end to make them golden brown. Let them cool and harden, then serve on top of the soup with your other favorite toppings. Avocadoes are to die for in it in my opinion.

4 comments:

Chalonn said...

I finally made this tonight....UM..yummy...a new favorite...even my kiddos gobbled it up!

Kelley said...

hmmmmm Yummy! I Love your Tortilla Soup:)

gail said...

This looks so delicious!!

Stacie Jean said...

Yum! I just made this for lunch today and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the great recipes!