Chicken Peanut Mole with Cilantro Rice

I came across this recipe over the summer (in a cookbook I sent away for using Smuckers and Pilsbury UPC symbols nonetheless). The combination of flavors from the peanut butter and the spices give it almost a Thai taste I think. The spiciness over the sweet rice is absolutely delicious. I love it because it is so different from the typical dishes I make!

Chicken Peanut Mole with Cilantro Rice
Mole Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (I just use 1) cut in 1/2" strips
1 c. chopped onion
1 t. chopped garlic
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (I use a 10 oz. Rotel can)
1-3 teaspoons chili powder, to taste (I use 2)
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1 T. baking cocoa
1/4 t. cinnamon
2 T. chopped cilantro

Rice Ingredients:
4 cups cooked rice
1 t. cumin
1 t. salt (can be ommitted)
1/2 c. Sweet Orange Marmalade (I use the Walmart brand and it is great)
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions for Mole:
- Spray skillet and cook chicken over medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove from skillet.
- Spray skillet again. Add onion, cook until softened. Add garlic, cook additional minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, chili powder, peanut butter, cocoa, and cinnamon. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Place chicken in sauce. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes to combine flavors.
(Sauce may be pureed in blender until smooth if desired - I haven't tried it personally.)

Directions for Rice:
- Cook rice as directed but add cumin and salt.
- Once rice has cooked add marmalade and cilantro; combine ingredients with fork.

0 comments: