Easy Beef Enchiladas

This is another recipe from my Southern Living cookbook. You may have noticed that I tend to prefer chicken over beef....each week I struggle to work some beef recipes into my menu plan and this one is pretty good. I try and stay away from enchilada recipes that call for creamed soups just as a matter of preference (I'll have to post my 2 favorite chicken enchilada recipes another time) and when I saw this one my only concern was that they would taste too tomato-ey. Luckily they didn't and they are really easy to make.

Weeknight Enchiladas
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 (10 3/4 oz) can tomato soup, undiluted
1 (10 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
8 (7 or 8 inch) flour tortillas
**I use 12 corn tortillas, see note below**
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Directions:
* Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned; drain and return to skillet.
* Stir soup and enchilada sauce into meat mixture. Spread 1/4 c. meat mixture onto each tortilla; sprinkle tortillas evenly with 1 c. cheese. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in a greased 13x9 baking dish. Pour remaining meat mixture over tortillas.
* Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1 c. cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and olives, if desired.
(you could probably jazz these up a little by adding some green chiles to the sauce, etc...I haven't experimented much with them yet)

**If you pour just enough of your sauce to thinly cover the bottom of your dish you don't need to grease it.**
**My trick for getting corn tortillas soft enough to roll without breaking when I don't want to fry them in oil first, is to place about 3 tortillas in a paper towel, wrap them up and place them in the microwave for 30 seconds. They get warm and soft and it is a much easier and healthier option than frying them first.**

0 comments: