Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

I am in love with these enchiladas...they are my new favorites! They are a little time intensive to prepare, but well worth it! YUM!!! This is another recipe from The Sister's Cafe and I made the Garlic Black Beans and Cilantro Lime Rice they suggested to go with it. A PERFECT meal (hooray for leftovers for lunch today :-)!

Ingredients:
Roasted Tomatillo Chile Salsa:
1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, peeled, sliced, quartered or whole
4 garlic cloves
2 jalapenos (I took the seeds out to keep ours more mild)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
Enchiladas:
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used cornstarch)
2 cups chicken stock
Chopped cilantro leaves
1 deli roasted chicken (about 3 pounds), boned, meat shredded (I used 2 cans chicken)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 large flour tortillas (I usd 14-15 corn tortillas)
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I used extra)
1 cup sour cream, plus extra for serving (I used FF)
Chopped tomatoes, cilantro and guacomole, optional to top

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
On a baking tray, roast tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos for 12 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the roasted vegetables and any juices on the bottom of the tray to a food processor. (I don't have one, so just used my blender) Add the cumin, salt and cilantro and pulse mixture until well combined but still chunky.

Meanwhile heat a 2 T olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook until soft and caramelized - this should take 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the garlic and cumin then cook for a further minute.
Sprinkle on the flour and stir to ensure the flour doesn't burn then gradually add the chicken stock to make a veloute.
Continue stirring over a low simmer until the flour cooks and the liquid thickens. Turn off the heat, add half of the roasted tomatillo chile salsa, some additional fresh chopped cilantro and fold in the shredded chicken meat and 1 cup of sour cream. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Change the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F and begin assembling the dish.
Take a large baking dish and smear the bottom with some of the reserved tomatillo salsa.
Now take the flour tortillas and briefly flash them over the stove-top flame (or put them briefly under the broiler if using an electric stove). (I cooked my corn tortillas in some oil, we were having company for dinner and I wanted them to be tasty...if it was just our family I would have heated them in the microwave to get them soft)
Using a shallow bowl, coat each tortilla lightly with the reserved salsa mix.
Put a scoop of the shredded chicken-enchilada mix on top of the tortilla followed by a sprinkle of the shredded cheese.
Fold the tortilla over the filling and roll up. Place the tortillas in the baking dish and continue to do the same with all the tortillas.
Finally pour over some more of the salsa and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cracked on top. Garnish with cilantro and tomato.
(I made one large dish and had enough salsa and filling to also make an 8x8 dish. I was out of salsa at that point, but still had filling left)
Serve hot with the remaining tomatillo salsa, sour cream, and fresh guacamole, if desired.

1 comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh My!!! That looks awesome!!! so yummy!!