Baked Potato Eggs

When I saw a link to this recipe (from Real Simple) on Cassie Craves, I knew I had to try it. It's like a little breakfast casserole right inside a potato :-). Ella and I were definitely fans! You could mix it up with all kinds of substitutions or add-ins too. I want to use ham and green onions next time! I'll probably scramble the egg up a bit too...it won't be as pretty, but I think it would taste even better.

Ingredients:
2 large baking potatoes (I used 6 medium potatoes)
2 tablespoons butter
(I added 3 T FF sour cream)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
(I added 1/4 c grated cheddar cheese)
2 precooked turkey sausages, diced (I used a little 8 pack)
4 large eggs (I used 6, one for each potato)

Directions:
I baked potatoes according to these directions.
Then...
Carefully cut each potato in half. (I didn't notice this, so I just cut a slit on the top, with bigger potatoes cutting in half would be better though)
Scoop out the insides and stir in the butter and cheese. Fold in the sausages.
Spoon the mixture back into the potato halves, creating a hollow in each center.
Break 1 egg into each hollow.
Arrange on a baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until set. (mine too about 20 minutes to set, but scrambling them periodically next time will help them cook faster)

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I'm intrigued. Gonna have to try this one!

Kathy said...

What a neat idea!!! Bookmarked!!!