My Combo Enchiladas

I thought these were pretty dang good if I do say so myself :-). I used the Pioneer Woman's enchilada sauce recipe, but I like chicken better (her recipe uses ground beef) and had some extra cream cheese in my fridge, so I did my own thing for the insides. I had enough filling to make 2 8x8 dishes, plus a smaller dish of enchiladas and I have TONS of sauce left still.

Ingredients:
The Pioneer Woman enchilada sauce (recipe previously posted here)
1 white onion, diced
1 t minced garlic
2 cans chicken, drained (I save the broth to use when I make the rice to go along with it)
1 (7 oz) green chiles
4 oz light cream cheese
a few black olives, very finely diced
1/2 c sliced green onions
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
about 20 corn tortillas
2 c shredded Monterrey jack cheese
cilantro to top

Directions:
*Prepare the enchilada sauce and let it simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
*In a large pan heat 2 T olive oil and add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent. Add chicken, chiles and cream cheese, stirring until cream cheese is melted and evenly distributed.
*Heat tortillas (either in hot oil until soft, or wrap 3 in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds...depending on how healthy you are feeling).
*In each tortilla place a generous scoop of chicken mixture, a few green onions and olives and some cheddar cheese. Roll and place seem side down in a baking dish that has been lightly coated with enchilada sauce (this keeps tortillas from getting crunchy on the bottom).
*When pan is full, cover enchiladas with a layer of enchilada sauce (enough that all areas are covered, but not swimming in sauce).
*Cover generously with Monterrey jack cheese and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with cilantro (and sour cream!) before serving.

0 comments: