Chocolate Marshmallow Crunch Tart

I was excited to see a gluten-free dessert recipe (that wasn't boring) in a recent issue of Rachael Ray's magazine! Since I wasn't cooking dinner last night I finally gave them a try and I LOVED them. The girls weren't huge fans of the coconut, although they did like the marshmallow layer, but that just means more for me!

Ingredients:
One 10-ounce bag large marshmallows
2 T butter
8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2 cups puffed rice cereal
1/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Directions:
-Grease a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. (I just used an 8x8 glass dish)
-In a double boiler (I don't have one, so I boil water in a large pot and just put a smaller pot inside to do the mixing) over simmering water, melt 17 marshmallows, the butter and 1 ounce chocolate, stirring frequently, until smooth. Stir in the cereal.
-Transfer the mixture to the prepared tart pan and, using a greased rubber spatula or your hands, press into the bottom and up the sides. (I put a baggie on my hand and spray it with a little cooking spray) Wipe out the double-boiler insert.
-In the double boiler, melt the remaining marshmallows in the milk over simmering water, stirring frequently, until smooth; let cool. Pour the mixture into the crust; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Wipe out the double-boiler insert.
-In the double boiler, melt the remaining 7 ounces chocolate over simmering water, whisking constantly, until smooth. Stir in the oil, 3/4 cup toasted coconut and 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon the mixture onto the tart and spread evenly to cover the marshmallow layer.
-Top with the remaining 1/4 cup coconut and 1/4 cup pecans; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.

1 comments:

Natalie said...

whoa--these look awesome!! can't wait to give them a try! great recipe!