Onion Rice

This is a simple and basic recipe, but a great way to add a little extra pizazz to a plain rice side. I didn't have red onions on hand, so I just used a white onion but we loved it. It didn't take away from the flavor of our main dish but was still good enough to stand on it's own. (recipe came from All Recipes)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red onion, chopped (I used white onion)
1 cup long-grain white rice (I used 1 1/2 c)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth (I used 3 c)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in the onion, and cook until almost tender.
Stir in rice, and continue cooking until coated with oil.
When onion is tender and rice begins to brown lightly, season with pepper, and pour in the broth.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20-30 minutes.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

I posted this recipe last summer and really liked it. A different way to enjoy rice :)