"Fresh" Salsa

I found this recipe on Just What Am I Cooking and liked that is was a homemade salsa recipe but used canned tomatoes...perfect for this time of year before tomatoes are in season. I added extra jalapenos (2 gave it no heat at all, and I'm pretty wimpy), extra garlic and used about 2 T. of salt. The recipe makes 8 cups of salsa, so you may want to halve the recipe. I refrigerated it overnight to let the flavors combine and Jamie simmers it on the stove for a few minutes and serves it warm to accomplish the same thing. I'm considering my first try at home made salsa a success :-). If you have a favorite salsa recipe, please share! I would love to find a favorite!

Ingredients:
2 29oz cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 can diced green chiles
3-4 diced jalapenos (deviened and deseeded)
2 bunches of green onions (white and green parts)
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch of cilantro
salt

Directions:
Put it all in a blender (my blender is not big enough for it all so I put all but 1 can of tomatoes in the blender).
Pour that first mix into a bowl and then blend the second can of tomatoes (can leave a little chunky if preferred).
Mix the two together and either simmer or refrigerate.

4 comments:

Simply Life said...

yum! looks like great salsa!

Melissa said...

We're making this tonight...I can't wait to try it tomorrow! :)

heather said...

If you leave in the ribs and seeds of the jalapenos, it'll add more heat, and it's less work!

Esme said...

I made this tonight...and it was delicious! My family loved, loved it. I added a table spoon of cummin and it gave it a great flavor! Thanks for sharing :)