Chicken Saltimbocca

I found this recipe in my latest issue of Taste of Home magazine. I have never cooked with sage before, but it was a nice fresh flavor for summer...and stuffed chicken always looks so fancy and complicated even though it isn't :-). I LOVED the rice with the sauce on top too!

Ingredients:
2 med. onions, chopped
2 T. butter
2 c. uncooked long grain rice
4 c. chicken broth
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I used 3)
4 slices prosciutto or deli ham, halved (I used 3 slices ham and put 2 halves in each chicken breast)
8 fresh sage leaves (I used 6)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 T/ olive oil
1/2 c. white wine
1/4 c. sour cream
1/2 t. sugar
1 t. minced fresh sage

Directions:
-In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 min. or until tender. Fluff with a fork.
-Meanwhile, cut a slit lengthwise through the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with prosciutto and two sage leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
-In a large skillet over med. heat, brown chicken in oil for 1-2 min. on each side. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 8-10 min. or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
-Add wine to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 min. or until slightly reduced. Stir in the sour cream, sugar and minced sage; heat through (do not boil). Serve with chicken and rice.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

I will have to look for this one in the taste of home. I don't remember seeing it. Yours looks great.