Cafe Rio Pork Salad...Freefam Recipe

We just arrived home from visiting Mike's fam in San Antonio. One thing I always look forward to while there is their nearly perfect replica of the Cafe Rio Pork Salad. Through much trial and error they have altered the recipe many times trying to get it just right. I wasn't sure I should post it after all their hard work, but Chrissy posted it awhile back, so I'm assuming I'm safe :-). If you have never enjoyed the real thing you will still find the salad delicious and if you have, and miss it like I do, you will be in heaven!

Without further adieu...
For the Pork:
Buy the cheapest 4 lb pork roast you can find, cut in half and sprinkle with garlic salt, salt and pepper and fry it to brown it. Put it in a crock-pot (or regular baking pan) with 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 cup of Coca Cola (regular), and 1 cup of Salsa. Roast until the pork pulls apart easily and is tender.
(last successful ratios tired: 5 lb roast, 3 c Coke, 1 1/2 c brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups Salsa)

For the Dressing:(this stuff is SOOO good, I could drink it :-), well maybe not, but it is great to dip chips in too)
2 cups Mayo
2 cups of Sour Cream
10 sprigs of cilantro
3 tomatillos
2 green onions
2 clove garlic
2 jalapeno peppers
juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 t salt
Blend all ingredients together...best to let them sit over night!

I used this Cilantro Lime Rice recipe and this Garlic Black Beans recipe the last time and thought it was even better!

To Assemble:
Flour Tortilla (using uncooked ones that you heat yourself is best)
Cheese
Black Beans
Rice
Pork
Lettuce
Dressing
Dallop of Guac and some chips on the side

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

Yummy!! I'm actually going there for lunch tomorrow. If you lived closer I'd bring you along for the real thing!!

Marci said...

I'm sooo jealous! Think of me while you enjoy your tasty meal :-)!

Melissa said...

I think that Cafe Rio was one of our favorite places in Utah and one of the things we REALLY miss! I wish they'd build one out here. People have tried to tell me that Chipotle is the same, but it isn't close. I have tried a few different recipes for the dressing, and they're OK, but not quite the same. I will have to try this one!

Kirsten said...

I made this following the posted recipe and it was fabulous! I don't usually get salads at Cafe Rio (I love the burritos more) but we'll definitely make this again! The dressing IS really good, and we definitely dipped lots of chips in it :)