Roasted Root Vegetables

This is another Rachael Ray recipe and was a great introduction to some new vegetables for me. I had never tried turnips or fennel and still haven't tried parsnips because I didn't find them at the grocery store I was at. I was a little nervous about the fennel, but ended up loving it, and didn't love the turnips...the potatoes I added were definitely better. I cut this recipe in half for our family.

3 lbs. small turnips, peeled and halved
2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-in pieces
1 lb. parsnips, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-in pieces
2 8oz heads fennel, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-in wedges (after doing a little research online, I only used the bulb part and threw in some of the leafy tops too)
(I added 3 red potatoes cut in cubes)
salt and pepper
4 T butter
2 T chopped fresh sage

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-In large bowl, toss the turnips, carrots, parsnips and fennel with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
-Divide the vegetables between 2 rimmed baking sheets. (or use 1 if you half it like me). Roast, turning occasionally, until tender, about 1 hour; transfer to a large bowl. (I turned mine every 20 minutes)
-Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the butter over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes; stir in the sage and season with salt and pepper. Add to the vegetables and toss to coat.


Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

roasting veggies makes them so good!! These look delicious, I love the browned bits, YUM!!