Low Calorie Hummus

I LOVE hummus but was sad when I looked at the fat and calorie content on my favorite kind recently and discovered it wasn't quite as healthy as I thought :-). I've been wanting to try making my own for awhile now but it seems like the recipes I would find called for tahini and I could never remember to buy it. Then I saw this version on Fit Family Meals and couldn't pass it up. It was super easy, tasted great and is totally good for you...Hooray!!!

Ingredients:
15-oz. can garbanzo beans drained, liquid reserved (I didn't need any extra liquid)
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
(I also added some onion powder)

Directions:
Combine garbanzo beans, garlic, cumin and salt in a food processor. Blend on low speed, gradually adding reserved garbanzo bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved. Servings 6 (3 TBS). 76 calories each

3 comments:

heather said...

I have a similar recipe that I love. Sometimes I add a little little bit of olive oil for some smoothness. I also REALLY like adding some jarred (or fresh if you're ambitious!) roasted red peppers. YUM!

We had hummus and homemade naan and veggies for dinner last night. The naan was super easy if you want to make it sometime.

Shari said...

We must have esp, I just put this (almost exact) recipe up today. Too funny.

seesuerun said...

Hey so glad you posted this! Thanks for referencing my site. I am so glad you did so that I found yours.

I run the fitfamlymeals blog! I am so excited to try some of your yummy meals!!!