Lemon Artichoke Risotto

This is yet another Rachael Ray magazine recipe, and I think the last one I saved from her most recent issue. This was also my favorite of the ones I tried! It was SOOO delicious! I was glad it made enough for a couple days worth of leftovers for lunch because I looked forward to it every time. Even my kiddos ate most of theirs which shocked me...and made me happy :-)! The nuts give the meal enough substance that I don't even think you miss the meat.

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
4 T butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cups arborio rice
1 1/4 c drained chopped canned artichoke hearts (1 can)
grated peel of 1 lemon plus 2 t lemon juice (I used 2 1/2 t juice and no peel)
salt and pepper
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 c chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/3 c walnuts, toasted and chopped (I thought I had some but didn't so I used pecans instead and they were delish!)

Directions:
-In saucepan, bring the broth and 4 c water to boil, cover and keep at a simmer.
-In large saucepan, melt 2 T butter over med heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
-Stir in 1 cup of broth mixture, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, 2-3 minutes. Maintaining a low simmer, continue to add the broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing the rice to absorb the liquid. Cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
-In the last 3 minutes of coking, add the artichoke hearts, lemon peel, lemon juice and the remaining 2 T butter; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, parsley and nuts.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Yum! This sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing. :)

Natalie said...

Just bookmarked this---I love the idea of lemon in there!