Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

This is another great recipe from My Kitchen Cafe! I am in LOVE with this soup :-)! I am hopeful that the stick of butter in it is balanced out somehow by the fat-free half and half...it was delicious and creamy!

Ingredients:
½ cup butter
1 finely chopped onion
½ - 1 cup frozen corn, or ½ cup chopped celery (I went with celery)
½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
½ cup carrots, sliced
¾ cup all-purpose flour
6 ½ cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice (I just used 1 box Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice and cooked it without the seasoning packet)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (I used 1 can chicken)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup slivered almonds (I thought I had some and didn't...it was delish without them)
2 cups nonfat half-and-half

Directions:
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, corn, chicken and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 more minutes. Then add flour and stir well. Transfer mixture to large pot. Over medium heat, gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly until all has been added. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer.

Next, add the rice, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper and almonds. Allow to heat through and then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer 1 to 1 ½ hours. Be careful not to let the soup come to a boil or it won't thicken properly - let it simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

That soup is soooooo good!

Blake, Jamie & Samantha Holiday said...

I have this printed off to try as well. I really want to make the bread bowls too...but that seems like WAY to much work! Glad to hear it is yummy!