Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with chipotle-lemon aioli

roasted brussels sprouts 1
Truth be told, I have been quite curious about brussels sprouts for awhile now. I had NEVER had them! They look like the type of thing I would like now, with my matured taste buds :-), but I couldn't get past hearing my whole life on TV and from others about gross brussels sprouts are. Then I saw this recipe in my last Clean Eating magazine and they looked absolutely delicious! I knew this was the recipe to get my first taste of them. My husband and I both loved them...especially with the spicy dipping sauce. The kids weren't as big of fans, but I'm going to keep trying. We paired them with Baked Salmon and a Mediterranean Quinoa mix and it was an absolutely perfect dinner!
roasted brussels sprouts 2
Ingredients:
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 T fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread (about 1 oz), torn in pieces (I used gluten-free bread crumbs)
- 2 tsp lemon zest, divided
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 c low-fat olive oil mayo
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced, 1/4 tsp adobo sauce reserved

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut Brussels sprouts in half and prepare as shown (they had picture instructions which were helpful for me, but basically you peel off outer leaves, cut stems close to bottom leaves, cut in half and make a little cut in the stem to help it cook evenly). Transfer sprouts to a large bowl and drizzle with 1 T lemon juice and oil; set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse bread into fine crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumbs, 1 tsp lemon zest and garlic over top of sprouts and toss until lightly coated.
- Spread sprouts-crumb mixture in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in oven for 10 minutes; remove turn sprouts around and bake until tender, 7-10 more minutes.
-Meanwhile, prepare aioli: In small bowl, combine mayo, remaining 1 T lemon juice, remaining 1 tsp lemon zest, chipotle chile and reserved adobo sauce; mix well.


Serving size: 1 cup Brussels sprouts and 1 T aioli * Calories: 160 * Total Fat: 9g * Sat. Fat: 1g * Monounsat Fat: 4g * Polyunsat Fat: 3g * Carbs: 15g * Fiber: 5g * Sugars: 3g * Protein: 5g * Sodium: 211mg * Cholesterol: 5mg

1 comments:

Spike said...

They look amazing, even a brussel sprout hater would taste these. For a long time I didn't like them, but when I tasted roasted brussel sprouts I fell in love, now I grill them, I roast them, I love them :-) Great blog