Meatball and Spaghetti Soup

meatball and spaghetti soup
This recipe is another hit from Skinnytaste!Along with many others I am trying to eat healthier and exercise more in the new year and I have found so any light but absolutely delicious recipes on her site, so definitely check it out! Also, I'm going to be posting the nutrition info at the bottom of the recipes I try when it is provided.
But, back to this soup. It was super yummy and especially perfect for us since my kids think spaghetti and meatballs is one of THE best meals there is. They each ate the meatballs and wanted more and I couldn't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day!

Ingredients:
For the soup:
* 5 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
* 2 cups water
* 2 chopped cloves garlic, divided
* 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
* 1/2 onion, chopped, divided
* 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce (I used a little extra)
* pinch crushed red pepper flakes
* kosher salt and fresh pepper
* 6 oz dry cut up spaghetti, she used Ronzoni Smart Taste (I used gluten free fusilli)
For the meatballs:
* 16 oz 99% lean ground turkey
* 1 small egg
* 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I used some gluten-free ones I ordered online. First time using them and they worked great!)
* 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
* 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil

Directions:
In a soup pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth, water, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1/4 of the chopped onion, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh black pepper to a boil; simmer about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining ground turkey, parmesan cheese, egg, remaining garlic, remaining onion, remaining parsley, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into little 1 inch meatballs (about 36).
Drop meatballs into the broth, cook about 3 minutes; add pasta and cook according to package directions. Add fresh basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated parmesan cheese.

Servings: 6 • Size:(about 1 1/2 cups) • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts •  Calories: 212.9 • Fat: 3.2 g • Carb: 27.4 g • Fiber: 3.9 g • Protein: 22.1 g • Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 738.7 mg (without added salt)

1 comments:

Kirsten said...

I just found Skinnytaste too! I've already saved a bunch of recipes to try - they all look so good (and healthy!).