Southwestern Enchiladas

A big thank you to Kathy from the blog Three on Food for suggesting I give these babies a try! I am in love with them and can't wait to make them the next time we have people over for dinner. They were SOOO delicious and she is right...don't get weirded out by the pecans!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used extra)
1 Tbs. margarine or butter
1 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened (I used 4 oz.)
1 Tbs. milk
1/4 tsp. ground cumin (I used 1/2 t.)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used a can of chicken)
6 8-inch flour tortillas (I used 9 corn tortillas)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used 98%FF)
1 (8-oz.) carton sour cream (I used FF)
1 cup milk (I used 1/2 heavy cream I had left over and 1/2 1% milk)
5 or 6 chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (I was worried about them making the enchiladas too spicy, but I cleaned the seeds out and the spicy-ness was just right!)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tbs. chopped pecans

Directions:
In a medium skillet cook the 1/4 cup pecans and onion in butter till onion is tender and pecans are lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
In a bowl combine the softened cream cheese, the 1 Tbs. milk, and cumin. Add nut mixture and chicken. Stir together till well combined.
Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixtures onto each tortilla near one edge; roll up.
Place filled tortillas, seam side down, in a greased 2-quart square baking dish.
In a bowl combine soup, sour cream, the 1 cup of milk, and the pickled jalapeno peppers. Pour the soup mixture evenly over the tortillas in the baking dish.
Cover with foil; bake in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or till heated through.
Remove foil. Sprinkle enchiladas with cheese and the 2 Tbs. pecans. Bake for 4-5 minutes more or till cheese is melted. (I even like to turn on my broiler to get the cheese a little golden).


Makes 6 servings.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh, yay!!! I'm so glad you loved them!!! I knew you had to try them since you're an enchilada-lovin'-girl!!!! :o)