Spaghetti alla Carbonara

This recipe is from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. I love pastas with creamy sauces...Mike isn't a big pasta fan and pretty much prefers traditional spaghetti over anything else...why was I the one born with Celiac Disease?! Oh well, when I make my gluten free versions it means lots more for me :-)! Aside from cooking the bacon (which Mike kindly did for me), this dish was simple to throw together and I LOVED it!!!

Ingredients:
- 16 oz spaghetti or fettuccine (I used gluten free spaghetti)
- 1/2 c. whipping cream or half and half (I used 1/2&1/2)
- 1/2 c. egg substitute (I used 1 egg)
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, divided (I used parmesan)
- 1/4 c. butter
- 8 slices bacon or pancetta, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
(I'll type what the instructions as they are given, but I cooked the noodles and in a separate pan cooked all the other ingredients, stirring constantly. Then I mixed the sauce and noodles together and served.)
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat wihpping cream in a heavy saucepan. Combine egg substitute and 1/2 c. cheese, stirring mixture well.
- Drain spaghetti, and place in a serving bowl. Add butter; toss gently until butter melts. Add egg mixture, whipping cream mixture, bacon and parsley; toss. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Serve immediately.

0 comments: