Sweet and Spicy Slow-Cooker Chicken

I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe. The chicken turned out really well, but was definitely more sweet than spicy (I only used 1/4 t. red pepper). I definitely plan to make it again...we could use it for tacos one night and then put it in tortilla soup the next night (tonight I tried it in homemade taquitos). I will however add some additional spices though (extra red pepper, some cumin, maybe some chili powder and garlic salt) and I'll probably add some sliced onions as well. It was super easy and definitely worth a shot!

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I will use at least 1/2 next time)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours, or until chicken shreds very easily with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Chicken will absorb liquid after it is shredded.)

2 comments:

Your Best Friend said...

I made this tonight and rolled it into Taquitos like you did. I did not add as much brown sugar so that I could spice it up more than sweeten. The chicken was easy to shread after being in the slow cooker. It basically fell apart as I tried to get it onto a plate. It turned out delicious!

Shhhhh said...

I'm going to try this and instead of petite tomatoes, add a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. That will definitely spice it up!