Quinoa and Black Beans (Freezer Meal)

I had never heard of quinoa before Cathy made this recipe for our freezer swap. I'm sure some of you vegetarians use it frequently, but now I know it is a power grain - a complete protein. I saved this meal for my week alone with Preston because I figured I would appreciate it more than Mike and the girls :-), and I really love it. I'm going to have to learn more about quinoa and find some recipes of my own to try out!

Ingredients:
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup frozen corn kernels
• 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
4. Enjoy with brown rice and corn tortillas, top with cheese and avocado

4 comments:

Annemarie said...

I am so glad you posted this recipe. I have been trying to get excited about quinoa, but needed some good recipes. I have a bag sitting in my pantry and am definitely going to make this tomorrow.
Thanks!!!

Heidi said...

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and I love it. Yours looks so yummy. I need to go and buy more quinoa.

MaRiN said...

Yum, I wish I was as good as you about making freezer meals. It really would make my life so much easier!

michele cabiness said...

I'm making this one tonight. Thanks!