Zucchini Croquettes

This recipe in the most recent Cooking Light magazine was actually called Summer Squash Croquettes, but I like Zucchini better, so that's what I used instead. These were a bit messy to make, but tasty little guys. Ella especially loved them, but she is my zucchini lover :-). Addie on the other hand told me she does not like things with green in them...we can't win them all over I guess. I really liked them and next time want to come up with a zesty ranch sort of dip to serve them with.

4 2/3 cups coarsely chopped yellow squash (I used zucchini)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup crushed saltine crackers, about 30 crackers
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided (I used quite a bit more oil than this)
Sliced green onions (optional)

1. Steam squash and 1/2 cup onions, covered, 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
(I don't have a steamer and ended up boiling them after an unsuccessful attempt at rigging up my own steamer :-)
Mash mixture with a fork. Stir in crackers and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Cover and chill for 3 hours (I put in freezer for 45 minutes); drain well in a fine mesh strainer (I didn't do this).
2. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Divide squash mixture into 12 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Dip in cornmeal mixture. Lightly coat each patty with cooking spray.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Place 4 patties in pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove patties from pan. Repeat procedure 2 times with remaining 2 teaspoons oil and 8 patties. Garnish with onions, if desired. Serve immediately.


Chicago Cuisine Critique said...

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe tomorrow as an appetizer. Thank you for the suggestion!

Check out my blog at http://chicagocuisinecritique.blogspot.com/.

I'm hoping to get some recipes added soon, this may be one of the first.

Chicago Cuisine Critique said...

I tried your recipe and am in the midst of creating a post about it. They came out great, so thank you. Just what my dinner party needed. I also took your suggestion and found a Ranch dressing to make as a dip, which was fantastic. Try http://annies-eats.com/2010/07/08/ranch-dressing/. This came out to be just the right combination, with lots of Ranch leftover. Enjoy! :)