Puerto Rican Chicken and Potatoes

This is another recipe I saw in a Rachel Ray magazine (I'm working through my stack of ripped out recipes) and I LOVED this! The flavors were great and reminded me of dishes I ate in Uganda actually. Although the girls weren't big fans, Mike and I both thought it was really, really good. I made a little rice to go with it too and the extra sauce on the rice was DELISH! The chicken shreds apart like it has been cooked in the crock pot and I love potatoes with any meal...definitely a keeper :-)!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
Salt and pepper
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 pound small red potatoes, halved (I used 1 lb)
One 8-ounce can Spanish-style tomato sauce, such as Goya (I found a jar of Goya sofrito sauce, 12 oz, and used the whole thing)
Chopped cilantro, for sprinkling

Directions:
1.In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons oil in the pan.
2.Using a food processor, puree the onion. Add to the reserved skillet along with the garlic, scraping up any browned bits. Puree the red pepper and add to the skillet along with the cumin and bay leaf. (I don't have a food processor, so I put the onion and red pepper in my blender with some of the tomato sauce to puree it)Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the potatoes, tomato sauce and 1 cup water. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3.Add the chicken, skin side up; cover and simmer, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Top with the cilantro.

1 comments:

rusted sun said...

Marci- I still check your blog when I need to figure out something to make for dinner. I'm trying this one tonight!

Thanks,
Alisa