Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup (a new one)

Tortilla_Soup
image via
It was dark both times I was eating my soup, so I never got a picture of my own, but it was delicious enough to share the recipe anyway!
A friend from church recently had a baby and was telling me about some yummy tortilla soup that someone brought in for her. Since tortilla soup is one of my all-time favorite meals, and I am always ready to try a new one I tracked down the recipe. She originally got the recipe from Seasoned with the Sun cookbook and then made some adjustments from it. It was super easy, super yummy and had the perfect amount of spice to it. I loved it and Mike really loved it too. Thanks for sharing Denise!

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 4-ounce can of chopped green chile
1 can Rotel
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons oil
1 can of beef broth
1 can of chicken broth
1 ½ cups each of tomato juice and water
1 teaspoon each of cumin, chile powder and salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoons bottle steak sauce (like A-1)
1 cup cubed cooked chicken (I used 1 can chicken)
3 tortillas, cut into ½ inch strips (we used crushed tortilla chips)
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
sliced avocado
sprigs of fresh cilantro
squeeze of fresh lime juice

Directions:
Saute onion, chile and garlic in oil until soft. Add tomatoes, bouillon, chicken broth, water, tomato juice, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper and sauces. Bring soup to boil; lower heat and simmer covered for 1 hour. Add tortillas and cheese and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Serve garnished with avocado slices and a sprig of cilantro if desired. Add a squeeze of lime juice and you will think you have died and gone to heaven!

1 comments:

Shari said...

Yum! I bet this one was great!