Tangy Cilantro Chicken Tacos

cilantro chicken tacos
I LOVE tacos. I especially love chicken tacos. And I really, really love tacos when I fry the tortilla shells :-). The filling in these was really, really good though. Cilantro and tangy tomatillos blend for a delicious flavor that would have been great even if we had been more healthy and not fried the shells :-). Recipe from Everyday Food.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered (I used 2 small chicken breasts)
salt and pepper
2 T vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 med white onion, diced small
1 1/4 t ground cumin
1 serrano chile, diced small, optional (I used half of one)
1/2 lb. tomatillos, diced large
3/4 c roughly chopped cilantro
12 crisp taco shells
1 1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack (I used 2%)
2 c shredded romaine lettuce

Directions:
Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a large heavy pot, heat oil over med-high.
Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Add onion, cumin, and chile, and cook 3 minutes.
Add tomatillos and 1 c water, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon; season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and meat can be shredded with a fork, 25 minutes (add water if necessary).
Shred chicken, add cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve chicken mixture in taco shells with cheese and lettuce.

Serving size: 3 tacos...Calories 692, Fat 41g, Protein 45g, Carbs 34g, Fiber 5g

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

This sounds great... haven't had chicken tacos in years. My hubby has been asking for fish tacos so regularly. Chicken is such a good family/cheaper cost meal too :) Great idea. Definately will be trying this soon.

Check out my fish taco recipe: http://noreservations4lunchdinner.blogspot.com/2013/02/walnut-pesto-crusted-fish-tacos.html