Potato-Cheddar Soup

creamy potato soup
This soup was in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens last year and our rainy days have had me wanting warm comforty types of food. Potato soup is one of my favorites and this one was super easy because you use a bag of hashbrowns instead of dicing all the potatoes! I don't know why I had never thought of this before, so smart! We added crumbled turkey bacon to the top and some extra FF cream cheese I had in the fridge. It was so yummy!

Ingredients:
1 28-oz pkg. frozen diced hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers
1 c chopped miniature sweet peppers (I used a red bell pepper)
3 c FF half-and-half
1/2 t salt
1/2 t curry powder
1/8 to 1/4 t cayenne pepper (I used 1/4)
6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (I used 2%)
(I also added 2 oz FF cream cheese)

Directions:
1. In 4-qt Dutch oven (or any big pot) combine potatoes, sweet peppers, half-and-half, salt, curry powder, cayenne and 1/2 c water. Bring to just boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, over medium heat 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Carefully transfer about half of soup mixture to a blender; add 1/2 c water (I didn't add water here) and blend until nearly smooth. Return to Dutch oven; stir to combine. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted.
3. Top servings with sliced sweet peppers and parsley (and turkey bacon :-). Makes 4 2-cup servings.

Serving size: 2 cups, calories: 438, fat: 17g, Chol: 54mg, Sodium: 883mg, Carbs: 53g, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 19g

0 comments: