Autumn Sausage Casserole

autumn sausage casserole
I found this recipe on the blog Stay Family Recipes and thought it sounded interesting. I was initially drawn to it partly because it was a slow cooker meal, but when I went to get it ready on a Sunday morning I saw that you have to cook the rice first. This didn't sound great to me...I like to dump everything in the crock pot and be done...so I decided to try it my way and dumped the uncooked rice and water in with everything else. It cooked and turned out flavorful, but the rice was definitely mushy as a result of my skipping that step. If I make this again I would just do it has a one pot meal on the stove instead. Cook the rice and then dump everything else in and let the flavors mix for a bit. I appreciated the new flavors and thought the potatoes were an excellent addition, but most the family wasn't into the sweet flavors. It was purely personal preference though :-)!

Ingredients:
1 lb. sausage (I used turkey sausage)
1 large or 2 small apples, chopped, don't need to peel
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot (I used one heaping cup)
3 cups already cooked long grain rice
1/2 cup raisins (I left these out
1 tbl. parsley
1 tbl. brown sugar
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth or water
*they suggested potatoes would be good, so I added 2 potatoes diced

Directions:
Use a 4 quart crock pot. If using uncooked sausage, brown and drain before putting it into the crock pot. Put all the ingredients in the crock pot, stir well. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or on high 3-4.

0 comments: