This delicious pasta was a perfect Sunday dinner. The recipe is from Cooking Light and was loved by the whole family! I found some Italian chicken sausages at Sam's Club that were absolutely heavenly (so glad we have lots more in the freezer!) and they were perfect in the pasta. I used gluten-free noodles for mine and regular for the rest of the fam.
* 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links (I used chicken)
* 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
* 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained (I used tomato sauce b/c my blender isn't great)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 5 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
* 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
* 1. Preheat broiler.
* 2. Arrange sausage on a small baking sheet. Broil sausage 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove pan from oven (do not turn broiler off). Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Broil sausage slices 2 minutes or until browned.
* 3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
* 4. Place tomatoes in a food processor; process until almost smooth. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add crushed red pepper and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick. Add sausage and cooked pasta to pan; toss well. Top with fresh basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.