Mexican Skillet Rice

mexican skillet rice 
This is another recipe from Taste of Home that I really loved. The rest of the family wasn't as fond of it (Mike doesn't love skillet meals period), but I have been eating for nearly every meal for 3 days. I love the roasted red peppers in it and the egg makes it seem like a Mexican stir-fry...Yum! It is good served as-is, put in tortillas like a burrito, and with chips too. I love that you only get one pot dirty while preparing and that it saves so well. You could probably freeze half of it too.

Ingredients:
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 pound chicken tenderloins, chopped (I used 1 can chicken, drained)
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 cups cooked jasmine or long grain rice (I used jasmine)
* 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
* 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
* 1 jar (8 ounces) taco sauce (I used medium)
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions:
* In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg over medium-high heat until set. Remove and set aside.
* In the same skillet, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, beans, Mexicorn, peppers, taco sauce and green onions; heat through. Stir in reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.

2 comments:

Chicago Cuisine Critique said...

Yum! This looks delicious. Definitely something to put on my to-make list. Thanks for sharing. :)

Chicago Cuisine Critique said...

I featured this on this week's Foodie Friday edition. Check it out! http://chicagocuisinecritique.blogspot.com/2011/06/foodie-friday_24.html