Crockpot Green Chili Chicken on Rice (with Blue Tortilla Chips)

green chile chicken on rice
The name went on and on and on, but I was still interested in trying this recipe from Picky Palate. I was looking for a crock pot meal that was pretty healthy and that my kids would like, and it was a tough search. In the end I went with this one even though it doesn't scream healthy because I have quite a stock pile of cream of chicken soup (although it is the 98% FF kind) that I haven't been using over the past few weeks as I've been focusing on healthier fare. While it isn't a new favorite, it was good and was mostly enjoyed by the family :-). I think the kids were more excited about the blue tortilla chips than anything else though! (and I almost skipped them, but the added crunch is really good)

Ingredients:
3-4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed (I used 2)
2 cans 98% fat free Cream of Chicken soup
4 oz can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley (I just used a dash of garlic salt and a couple dashes of parsley)

6 Cups steamed rice of choice (we used a mix of white and brown)
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips, crumbled for garnish

Directions:
1. Place chicken, soup, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic salt into crockpot on low. Let cook for 6-8 hours or until chicken is fork tender and falls apart easily. With 2 forks, shred chicken in the sauce and season with additional seasonings if desired. Spoon over bowls of rice then garnish with crumbled tortilla chips.

0 comments: