White Bean Soup

Hooray! I'm back to taking my own pictures again :-)!
This recipe is from my Southern Living Easy Week Night Favorites cookbook, a present from my mom long ago (and it is full of good recipes). This was super easy to make, flavorful and my kids actually ate at least some of it...so it was a victory in my book. I think I will rinse the beans next time and add some vegetable broth to make up for the loss of that liquid because I have a weird aversion to keeping the liquid in a bean can (I'm weird :-). It was definitely perfect for our colder nights last week!

Ingredients:
-1 (16 oz) can navy beans, undrained
-1 (15 oz) can Great Northern beans, undrained
-1 cup water
-2 large carrots, scraped and diced
-1/4 c butter or margarine, melted
-1 c chopped cooked ham or 1 ham hock (I diced some ham lunch meat)
-1/3 c chopped green onions
-1 bay leaf

Directions:
-Combine beans in a large saucepan; mash slightly with a potato masher or back of a large spoon.
-Stir in water, and cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
-Cook carrot in butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
-Add carrot, ham, green onions, and bay leaf to bean mixture.
-Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf before serving.

1 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yummy, quick and easy, sounds like a keeper to me! PS I don't like the 'bean juice' either :)