Bean Taquitos with Cucumber Salsa

(picture and recipe from Rachael Ray)
I hate the time change for many reasons, just one of which is the fact that it is almost always dark when dinner is ready and I want to take a picture of our meal. The picture I took of these little taquitos did not look appetizing and I didn't want that to deter you from trying them, so I'm using the one from Rachael's magazine. My children ALL devoured these! They ate more of them than I did! So, needless to say I will be making them again and again. I did not try the salsa because I just didn't have time, so if you do, let me know how it is!

Ingredients: (only the last 3 are for the taquitos!)
* 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
* 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
* Grated peel and juice of 1/2 lemon
* Salt and pepper
* 3/4 cup sour cream
* 12 small corn tortillas
* One 16-ounce can spicy refried beans
* 1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumber, garlic and parsley. Stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil, the lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir the lemon peel into the sour cream.
2. Heat a large skillet over low heat. Soften each tortilla in the skillet for about 15 seconds on each side. Place the tortillas on a work surface and spread each with 2 tablespoons refried beans; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up the tortillas to resemble cigars.
3. Using the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Working in 3 batches and using the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, fry the taquitos, turning, until crisp and browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve the taquitos with the lemony sour cream and cucumber salsa.

0 comments: