Cafe Rio Tortilla Soup

I have had an insanely awful sore throat this week so when I was planning the menu I went looking for a new soup recipe to try. I came across this one on A Bountiful Kitchen and couldn't wait to try it. I can't vouch for how close this is to the real Cafe Rio soup, since I always picked one of the pork dishes when I went there, but I can tell you this soup was super delish and I'll definitely be making it again!

Ingredients:
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breast halves, skinless, boneless (I used 1 can chicken)
3 cups water
1 whole large sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 small can mild green chilies
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can Rotel brand tomato, lime juice and cilantro
1 can small white beans
1 quart carton chicken broth
3 teaspoons chicken flavoring or bullion cubes
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 fresh lime, juice and zest
topping options: cilantro, avocado, crushed chips, sour cream, cheese

Directions:
Heat olive oil in pan. Add chicken and cook until light brown on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Add 3 cups water to pan, cover and simmer chicken on medium high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
(since I used a can of chicken, I used the 1 quart broth to simmer the veggies and added 1 c water and 1 t bouillon when I added the chicken, undrained, back in later)
Remove chicken and set aside. In same pan, add onion,carrots, chilies, garlic, cumin and Rotel to juices, and add enough broth from carton until vegetables are covered. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Chop the chicken. Add chicken, beans, corn and lime juice to vegetable mixture in pan with all remaining broth. If additional chicken flavor is needed, add some chicken flavoring to taste.
Salt and Pepper. Garnish with fresh cilantro. 8 servings.

0 comments: