Creamy Summer Vegetable Stew

This recipe from Family Circle was a great way to serve up veggies...especially to Preston who still doesn't have all his teeth :-). We all ate it up but I was definitely the biggest fan. I will add more chicken broth next though, I didn't think there was enough liquid to really call it a stew.

Ingredients:
8 ounces frozen pearl onions
2 cups baby carrots, halved
1-1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used 1 cup chicken broth)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence (I looked this up since I didn't have any and used mostly thyme, some basil and some savory)
1/2 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup light cream (I used whole milk)
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons grated Asiago cheese
2 cups cooked white rice (optional) (I made some)
(I also added one can chicken to make it a little more hearty)

Directions:
1. Place onions, carrots, corn, broth, vinegar and 11/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours. (I did it on the stove top in a large pan...until carrots were tender)
2. Stir in zucchini and chickpeas; cook for 45 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together cream, cornstarch, salt, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence; set aside.
3. Stir in cream mixture and tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle with Asiago and serve with rice, if desired.

0 comments: