Teriyaki Pork & Mango Stir-Fry

I was excited when I saw this stir-fry recipe in an issue of Rachael Ray's magazine a few months ago because it used pork (which I don't typically use in stir-fry), but it was just pork chops...other types of pork still scare me, although I'm getting braver :-). Overall I thought it was really good. I did think the sauce could have used a little extra flavor, but maybe it was just the Teriyaki sauce I used. With some soy sauce I thought it was great. I loved the crunchiness of bean sprouts and the sweet mangoes. Frying up the cabbage brought back memories of one of favorite dishes from Uganda when I spent a semester there during college. I'll have to try and recreate it sometime. Final verdict on this one...I'd definitely make it again and add some soy sauce or extra teriyaki sauce when cooking it.

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless pork chops
1/2 cup flour (I used cornstarch)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
1 small head napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (about 7 cups)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons store-bought teriyaki sauce
2 mangoes, cut into matchsticks
2 cups bean sprouts

Directions:
On a work surface, place a pork chop between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and, using a meat mallet, pound 1/4 inch thick; repeat with the remaining chops. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; add the pork and toss.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Shake off any excess flour from the pork and arrange in a single layer in the skillet. Cook until browned and crisp on one side, about 3 minutes; turn and cook, stirring, until browned all over, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the cabbage to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in the teriyaki sauce, then toss with the pork and mangoes. Top with the bean sprouts.

0 comments: