Crispy Southwest Wraps

I saw the idea for these wraps on The Kitchen Cafe and thought the added element of making them crispy sounded delicious...not to mention last week I really missed the Southwest meals that are almost always included in our menu! These hit the spot and I have enjoyed the leftover filling the past couple days for lunch (I use corn tortillas for mine which don't turn out nearly as pretty, but still taste great).

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
(for the rice I used a Mexican rice mix and added 1/2 c rice and 1 c water to dilute the seasoning a little. I still added a couple dashes of each of the spices listed above)
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (I used 1 can roast beef to have shredded beef in ours)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced, white and green parts (I used 2)
1/2 red or green pepper, diced (I used red)
(I added 1 4 oz can diced green chiles)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
Sour cream
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas (or corn if you prefer, they just turn out a little messier)
-I'm adding guacamole as a must with this meal!

Directions:
Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt.
Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream.
Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, dot middle with 1-2 T sour cream, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla.
Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open.
Spray the tortillas all over with cooking spray.
Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. (I used my trusty George Foreman grill)
Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. (I just have the little Foreman grill and did one at a time)
Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

I bet these taste great with corn tortillas! I'm so glad you liked them.