Thai Red Curry

I love pretty much all things curry, especially when the curry is in coconut milk :-). This recipe tasted very authentic without too many ingredients I didn't have on hand (I did have to buy the fish sauce). My absolute favorite is still the Thai Chicken Curry recipe I posted awhile ago, but this was definitely a nice change up. Thanks to My Fabulous Recipes, one of my more recent blog finds, for the recipe and encouraging me get out of my comfort zone a little :-).

Ingredients:
Cooked Jasmine rice
2 tablespoons oil
2-3 tablespoons red curry paste, or more depending on heat desired
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup coconut milk (I used light)
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used a little less)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 - 1/2 lb tri-tip beef (or flank steak), thinly sliced (You may replace it with chicken if desired) (or leave out for a vegetarian dish)
2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4-6 large fresh min leaves (or basil leaves) (didn't have these so left them out)
Vegetables-
1/2 acorn squash, peeled and cut into cubes
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 can bamboo shoots (didn't use the whole can)
(we followed pretty much what was suggested...I added in some zucchini which I thought was really good and I'll probably skip the acorn squash next time - I just didn't love the texture of it)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and the curry paste and cook, stirring, for a minute.
Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, sugar, and salt, then bring it to a boil.
Add the vegetables (squash, red and yellow bell pepper, bamboo shoots) and reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12 minutes.
Add the beef and simmer, covered, for another 8-10 minutes or until the beef is cooked.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together, then pour it into the curry, stirring frequently, until the curry thickens.
Stir in the lemon juice and mint leaves.
Serve with/over rice.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

This looks really good!! I've not had many curries (not a big thing where I'm at) and the few I've had are meh at best. But I love coconut - and this looks fantastic! I'll have to give it a try soon :)