Creamy Beef and Spinach (over Noodles or Rice)

I took the picture only a couple hours into the cooking, so my spinach wasn't wilted completely, but the extra green-ness does look prettier (I knew it would be dark by the time it was completely done cooking). I got this recipe out of a new cookbook from my mom, the Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook, and we all really liked it. With this cold, dreary weather I am just in the mood for warm, creamy, delicious meals and this definitely fit the bill! It is similar to beef stroganoff, but with the added spinach, a little healthier. The recipe calls for it to be served over egg noodles, but we opted for rice instead.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chuck (I used 1/2 lb)
1 medium onion, chopped
(I added 1 t. minced garlic)
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I used a 10oz bag fresh spinach)
1 (14 oz) can low-sodium beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I used 98% FF)
1 (8 oz) container sour cream (I used low-fat)
1/2 t salt (I left out)
1/4 t pepper (I used more)
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, shredded (I used plain MJ cheese, I was nervous about the peppers in this recipe b/c it didn't seem to go, but I'm sure it's good)
Hot cooked egg noodles or rice

Directions:
-Cook beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
-Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels. (if using frozen)
-Combine beef mixture, spinach, broth, and remaining ingredients except noodles/rice in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 4-qt slow cooker. (I just mixed it all right in my slow cooker, one less dish to clean, and did not grease it)
-Cover and cook on low 4 hours.
-Serve over egg noodles or rice.

0 comments: