Vegetarian Curry

I was really excited to try this dish. The potatoes, garbanzo beans and cauliflower sounded like a great combo with curry. It was really good (according to me), healthy, filling, and also very similar to Caroline's Chickpea Curry. I saw it on The Beans Blog, which I happened across through some long trail of blog hopping :-).

Ingredients:
1 or 2 T curry powder (I used 1 1/2 T)
1 T garam masala
Oil
1 med onion, chopped
3 or 4 medium potatoes
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 serrano chili, seeded and finely diced (I only used 1/3 of one because I was scared of making it too hot and I liked the spiciness mine had)
1 T fresh ginger, grated fine
1 T tomato paste
1/2 head of cauliflower, in bite sized pieces
14 oz. can of diced or crushed tomatoes, run through a blender (I used crushed and did NOT blend)
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 t salt
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (I left out)
1/4 c. heavy cream (I used half and half)

Directions:
Toast the curry powder and the garam masala in a dry pan on high heat for a minute or two until it smokes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Heat some oil over medium heat and add the onions and potatoes. Let fry for about 10 minutes until they get some nice color.
Add in a little more oil. Throw in the ginger, garlic, chili, tomato paste and the toasted spices. Let the spices bloom for a bit in the oil then add in the cauliflower. Made sure the cauliflower gets coated with the spices.
Add in the blended tomatoes, about 3/4 cup of water (more or less depending on how much sauce you like and how thick you prefer it to be...I used 1 c and think I could have used more), the chick peas, and the salt.
Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until the veggies are done.
Add the frozen peas and the cream.
Take off heat and serve with rice.

1 comments:

Natalie said...

I've been bookmarking tons of curry recipes to try lately---love that this one is all veggies!