Pork Chops Primavera

I just found this recipe that I had ripped out of an old Better Homes and Garden magazine a long time ago. I was a little unsure about the meal as it cooked, but was instantly sold when I tasted it. I loved the subtly sweet flavor of the pork (and I'm not a big fan of sweet dinners) and the beans! I served it with some chicken flavored wild rice and thought it was a perfect pairing.

Ingredients:
4 slices peppered bacon, cut in 1-in. pieces
12 oz. trimmed fresh young green beans
1 T. soy sauce
4 pork chops, 1/2 in. thick
1/3 c. apple butter (I used an applesauce I had on hand instead, *see below*)
1/4 c. water
1 c. red or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes (I used red grape)

Directions:
-In 12-inch skillet cook bacon over med-high heat until crisp; remove. Reserve 1 T drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels.
-Meanwhile, in 2-qt. microwave safe dish cook beans in 2 T water, covered, on high 4 min; stir once. Drain, set aside.
-Brush chops with soy sauce. In skillet brown chops on both sides.
-Add apple butter and the 1/4 c. water; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 min.
-Add beans, tomatoes, and bacon; cook, uncovered, 3-5 min, until sauce thickens.

**So, I didn't see apple butter at the store (probably because I assumed it was an actual butter and looked there for it) and went online to find a substitution for it before I made this tonight. From what I could tell apple butter isn't much different from applesauce. I always buy the Mott's healthy harvest apple sauces and happened to have this new pomegranate flavor in our fridge today, so that's what we used. I don't know how much that affected the outcome, but it was delish this way! If you try something different, let me know how it turns out!**

0 comments: