Enchilada Casserole

This was on a little recipe card I received in the mail from a company trying to get me to buy their cookbook. I didn't buy the book, but this recipe looked good and it uses beef, which I never seem to find enough recipes for. I think I like the Layered Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole a little more, but as I said a beef option is always nice. Some avocado slices added to the top would have been great!

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb. ground beef
-1/2 c. chopped onion
*I added 1 clove minced garlic
-1 t. chili powder
-1/2 t. ground cumin
-1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
-1 4 oz. can diced green chili peppers, UNdrained
-1 8 oz. carton sour cream (I used FF)
-2 T. flour (or cornstarch)
-1/4 t. garlic powder
-8 corn tortillas (I think I'll used a few more next time to give it more substance)
-1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
-1 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 Monterrey jack)
-toppings: chopped tomato, green onion, cilantro, avocado

Directions:
-In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin over medium heat until onion is tender and meat is no longer pink. Drain off fat. Stir in pinto beans and peppers; set aside.
-In a small mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, flour, and garlic powder; set aside.
-Place half of the tortillas in the bottom of a lightly greased 2 qt. baking dish; cut to fit if necessary. (I poured a little enchilada sauce in the bottom instead)
-Top with half of the meat mixture, half sour cream mixture (I mixed these together the second time because you can't really spread the sour cream over the meat very well), half of the enchilada sauce, and 1/2 c. cheese (I used cheddar here). Repeat layers, EXCEPT reserve the remaining cheese.
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved 1/2 c. cheese (I used Monterrey jack). Bake, uncovered, 5 more minutes. Top as desired.

1 comments:

apewinterton said...

This looks good. My kids will never eat my enchiladas, but maybe if I tell them it came from your house they'll go for it! :)