Creamy Chicken "Tacos"

I added the quotations in the title, because as you can see, these are not really tacos. This is another recipe from The Lone Star Legacy cookbook and although the name wasn't very accurate, they were tasty. I have made similar dishes, but liked that this one can truly be made gluten-free...no creamed soups involved!

Ingredients:
-1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
-1 large onion
-1 clove garlic, minced
-3 T. butter
-2 T. flour/cornstarch
-2 c. tomato juice
-2 c. grated cheddar cheese
-2 c. half and half cream
-1 chicken, cooked and boned (I used 1 large can chicken)
-12 tortillas (I used 15-18 corn)

Directions:
-Saute green chilies and onion in butter. Add flour/cornstartch and tomato juice; simmer a few minutes. Cool.
-Melt cheese with cream in double broiler. (I don't have one so just put a small pot in a bigger one)
-Dice chicken and add to tomato mixture; gradually add cream mixture.
**I saved some of my cream mixture to put on the bottom of the dish and to cover my top tortillas so they wouldn't get dried out when baking.**
-Slightly fry tortillas in hot oil (I skipped this to make it healthier). Place alternate layers of tortillas and chicken mixture in 9x13 dish.
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

0 comments: