Lentil Chili

I found this on the Food Buzz website (see left side bar) from the Plain Cook. Although the overall flavor was really good, I thought it was a little plain. Perhaps it was the missing jalapeno that I forgot to buy? We topped with cheese, salt (it needed it) and crushed chips. I have really loved some of the lentil recipes I have tried and was hoping to love this, but just didn't. I think some people would really like this though, so try it yourself and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
1 med yellow onion, diced
1 med red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 med carrot, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons packedbrown sugar
2 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1/2 t cayenne pepper
2 t dried oregano
1 t dried thyme
1 t dry mustard
2 1/2 c dried brown lentils, rinsed
8 c chicken broth
3 T olive oil
salt

Toppings:
sour cream
tomatoes
chopped green onions
chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
-Combine the first 15 ingredients in a slow cooker; cover and cook on low, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft, about 8 hours.
-During the last hour, add the olive oil and season to taste with salt.
Serve the chili in bowls with toppings.

0 comments: