Skillet Beef Stew

This meal was heaven...at least for me, tonight, it was the perfect dinner! I loved it! It's like a pot roast, but in a soup-like format (and we know how much I love my soups!). I tore the recipe out of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine a year ago. Actually I tore out the whole little segment called, "By the Bowlful Recipes" and it looks like I need to try some of the others!

Ingredients:
- 2 T. cooking oil
- 2 lb. beef stew meat, cut in 1-in cubes (I just used 1 lb)
- 2 t. dried thyme
- 6 med carrots, peeled and quatered
- 4 stalks celery, cut in 2-in lengths
- 2 med onions, cut in 1/2-in slices
- 6 c. beef broth
- 1/3 c flour/cornstarch
- 1 recipe potato mashers (I've included recipe below, but I just made mashed potatoes my usual way)

Directions:
-In 12-in ckillet brown beef in hot oil over med-high heat with thyme and 1/4 t. each salt and pepper (I also added garlic). Remove, set aside.
-Add carrots, celery, and onions to skillet, cook and stir 5 min.
-Return beef to skillet. In bowl whisk together broth and flour; add to skillet.
-Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered 45 minutes.
-Uncover; simmer 10 min or until meat is tender. Serve with potatoes.

Potato Mashers:
In microwave-safe bowl microcook 8 Yukon gold potatoes (2 3/4 lbs), half at a time, on high 8 minutes, covering bowl with vented micro-safe plastic wrap. Mash potaotes with 1 c. milk and some salt and pepper.

0 comments: