Orecchiette With Tuna

I cut this recipe out of a magazine a LONG time ago and stuck it in my cookbook, so I have no idea where it came from. I was a little nervous going in to it, but it was actually quite scrumptious! It didn't taste "tuna-ie" at all and did have a more "sophisticated" flavor, as described in the article. I made some changes to the recipe purely by accident, but I think I'll do it exactly the same the next time around! What a great way to use a can of tuna!

Ingredients:
-16 oz. orecchiette pasta (I only used 8 oz. and used my gluten free penne)
-1 T. olive oil
-pinch of red-pepper flakes
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-2 cans (5.5 oz each) V8 juice (at Walmart I got 1 can (11.5 oz) generic V8 for $.50)
-1 pint grap tomatoes, halved
-1 can (6 oz) tuna, drained
-1 T. lemon juice
-2 T. butter
-1/2 c. chopped basil (I totally missed this when I made my grocery list so I put in 1 T. dried basil and thought it added enough flavor for us)

Directions:
-Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in large pan, heat olive oil over med heat.
-Add pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds.
-Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
-Add V8 juice, increase heat to high, and bring mixture to boil.
-Reduce heat to low, and add grape tomatoes. Cook 4 minutes.
-Stir in tuna, lemon juice, butter and basil. Toss with pasta.
*I put a little mozzarella on top too!

0 comments: