Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Rice Bake

(photo via Picky Palate, I didn't even try one tonight) This recipe is from, you guessed it, Picky Palate :-). I really struggled finding meals that sounded good to me this week and when I saw this I thought it might do the trick. I think it's really good and would be even better with the flavor of Swiss cheese instead of the mozzarella!

Ingredients:
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 lb diced ham (I used about 1/2 that in lunch meat)
2 c. cooked shredded chicken breast (I used 1 can chicken)
4 T. butter
1/4 c. flour (I used cornstarch)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. fresh cracked pepper
14 oz can chicken broth
3 c. cooked rice of choice (I used 4 c. 1/2 white, 1/2 brown)
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese (I used mozzarella because I had it, but I really wanted swiss...I think it would be better!)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ham and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Melt butter then stir in flour, salt and pepper until combined. Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined.
- Stir in cooked rice then transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Top with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cover the dish with foil the last 10 minutes for oozing cheese.

0 comments: